Saturday, January 26, 2013

Ruby-- Five Months

Wasn't I just here, like yesterday, writing about how my baby is 4 months old?? Well, guess what...yet another month has flown by and our darling girl is has now been in our lives for 5 months. I think this month has been the month that we have seen the most change in her growth and development. She's blossomed this month and it has been so fun to experience! 

She scoots too fast to keep her centered on the quilt! Stinker.
Our girl is on the move! While she's definitely not crawling yet, that doesn't keep her from moving around the living room when you lay her down and go wash dishes. She doesn't seem to do it when we're watching, but if we leave the room she some how gets off whatever blanket we have her on and gets into as much mischief as a 4 month old baby can (like chewing on Banjo's tail...GROSS!).



This girl is such a goofball! She already cracks us up on a daily basis with her funny faces, noises, and all around silliness. She has quite the personality! Ruby is charming, and she knows it. She flashes her gummy grin to anyone who talks to her, and quickly wraps every single person she meets around her chubby little finger. She loves everyone, especially if you let her chew on your finger! 


Ruby is definitely teething! Like I mentioned above, she's not shy about using anyone who will oblige as a teething ring. She has also made a habit out of soaking her onesies almost all the way to her belly button with slobber. If drooling were an olympic sport, this girl would win the gold.


One very exciting milestone Ruby reached this month was learning to sit up! I usually prop her up on the boppy in the morning while Andrew and I are getting ready, where she usually just eats her hands and chills. One morning I noticed she wasn't even leaning on it, I got all excited about it, and then promptly forgot about it. A couple of weeks ago we were over at Eric and Kristina's and Nolan was showing us all how he can take a few steps on his own now. Ruby thought it was the absolute best thing she has ever seen in her life and was cracking up like no body's business, all while sitting up by herself. I sat there behind her completely amazed that she could just sit there and laugh at him...my baby is growing up.


I never thought I would be one of those moms that gets so sappy about each and every little thing. And then I catch myself saying "oooohhhh LOOK! She's grabbing her toes!", and crying at the sound of her laugh. Being a mom has brought out this extra sappy, emotional part of me and I would not have it any other way. I can't help but be proud of her as I watch her develop and change. 


I think I can finally say that we've gotten is a semi-positive groove when it comes to sleep (knock on wood). We still have some nights where she just wants her mama, and I oblige because really, how many more times am I going to get to lay in bed and nurse her in the middle of the night? We've finally got her on more of a schedule though, which was my goal for the month. She has been going to bed around 8:30 the past few nights, waking up once to nurse around 2 or 3, and then wakes up again to eat around 7:30 (which works wonderfully because I get to feed her before I go to work). She had one night where she slept a full 9.5 hours without waking up, which was magical, but most nights...not so much. While I do hope she will sleep fully through the night eventually, I can say with all honesty that I do not mind waking up with her. Those early morning snuggles melt my heart no matter how groggy I am, they are precious moments that will be etched on my mind forever. 


We started solids! We got the go-ahead from Ruby's pediatrician at her 4 month appointment (which was 2 weeks late) and started her on oatmeal the next night. The first few times were quite amusing. She would quiver and make the most hilarious face when the oatmeal would touch her tongue. She's come around, though, and now gobbles it up and makes quite the mess! A bath is always necessary after Ruby's dinner! Ruby is eating less frequently during the day, but more milk. She's sometimes eating up to 7 oz out of her first bottle at daycare and then usually 5 oz after that. She is down to only eating 2 bottles at daycare most days because she nurses so late in the morning now before I go to work. It's still a lot to keep up with, and some days I wonder if I'll be able to pump enough for this girl's big appetite.

She was 16 pounds even, and 26 inches long (I think, I honestly can't remember) at her last doctors appointment (4 months, 2 weeks). That put her in the 80th percentile for weight and height. Our sweet girl sure has grown a lot from her scrawny 6 pound newborn frame. :)


I know this probably gets redundant month after month, but Ruby is the happiest baby ever. She is truly a delight to be around. I cannot get enough of her! We could not possibly love her more!



Cutest baby bulldog ever


Love-bug, 
These past five months have been the best months of your daddy and I's lives. You bring us an endless amount of joy and fill our hearts with happiness on a daily basis. When I think about how fast these five months have gone by, it makes me realize how it's true how people say "you just blink and they are graduating high school". I can't think about that right now though sweet girl, because I'm loving these moments way too much. I thank God for you. He has blessed us with your sweet, wonderful, beautiful self and there is no way we can say "thank you" enough for that. 
We love you more than you will ever know, beautiful girl.
Mama 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...