Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Ruby -- Six Months

Well, I'm about week overdue for Ruby's six month blog post. This month was definitely the most challenging when it came to taking pictures of our VERY busy, active girl. She was not into looking at the camera this month. It was kind of chilly, we were dealing with baby girl's 5th cold, and I'm still learning how to use my new lens. Not the best combo for great pictures, I still got some adorable ones though. It's hard not to when you have a model as cute as Ruby-girl! 

As I said above, my poor baby had another (two) colds this month. It never really got too severe like before, just snotty and congested. She deals with it like a champ though and is for the most part still our happy go lucky little girl. Plus, she's gotten quite good at the snot bubble: 


Ruby is SO active! She wants to moving, grabbing, and chewing on something at all times, OR ELSE. If she is forced to sit still you will know that she is unhappy! She has started making this hilarious growling noise when she wants something or is frustrated. She tucks her chin into her chest and lets out this low "grrrrrrrrrrr". It cracks us up, and usually gets her what she wants pretty quickly.


While Ruby is still very social, smiley, and doesn't mind other people holding and loving on her she is getting a *little* more reserved. She has started playing this little "shy game", when someone comes over to us and talks to her she smiles and then throws herself into my shoulder, then look back and do the same thing again. She's cute, and she knows it. She is definitely 100% aware of who mama and daddy are, she lights up when she sees us and of course it just melts our hearts every time. 


Unfortunately Ruby is still teething, but with no results. She is in visible discomfort sometimes, but I cannot feel or see any teeth in the making. She typically handles it really well, but when the fussies come, a frozen peach slice is always a helpful relief for those poor, sore gums. EVERYTHING goes into the mouth, and when there is not something nearby, the trusty limbs are always there for backup! 


She's a sitting up champ now, and it's definitely her preferred way of playing. She hasn't had any huge milestones this month, besides trying to pull up. She doesn't quite have the strength to do it on her own yet, but I have a feeling it's coming soon. She knows if I put my hands out to her that she has the opportunity to stand and she loves it so much. She grunts when pulling herself up like "whew, this is so, so hard!" and it's so, so cute! 



 Ruby and Banjo are officially BFFs. He was what got her first true giggles out of her and the relationship has just grown since then. She smiles and laughs when he runs into the room, and absolutely loves to "pet" him. We've been trying to teach her that puppies aren't for chewing and tails aren't for pulling, but she has a way to go until she gets it, I think. ;) He was another factor that made this photo shoot particularly difficult. 


Laughing at her buddy
 Month 6 was by far her best month for sleep so far! Ruby is sleeping consistently from around 8:00-8:30 until around 5:30-6:30 am. One Saturday she slept ELEVEN hours until 8am, ate and then cuddled in bed with us until around 9. It was heaven. I was so proud of our girl for figuring out what Saturdays are all about! Sleep is one of those things I had extremely unrealistic expectations about before Ruby was born. I read all the hip baby sleep books that absolutely promise that your baby will be sleeping through the night at eight weeks. While that works for some babies, I've learned that all babies are different and it's virtually impossible to go by the books. Especially if you have a life like ours that requires flexibility. So, yes, it has taken her MUCH longer to sleep through the night that I ever would have thought or hoped, but I really don't mind. She's happy and healthy, just didn't really like sleep as much as some babies do. Heck, there are still nights that she decides to wake up at 2 am for some cuddles and a little nursing, and even thought it can be a bit discouraging and frustrating in the morning, I always wake up the next morning thankful for that extra time together.


She is finally starting to enjoy eating solids. I have made sweet potatoes, avocados, and pears. Ruby has also taken a liking to peach slices and cut up banana. She's definitely still learning how to chew and has had a few gaging episodes, but no real chokes, thank goodness. I really enjoy making my own baby food. I love knowing what is going into Ruby's little body, and it's really nice when she likes "my cooking". I know we are saving a ton of money with me making the food too, so that's a big plus as well!


Ruby weighed in this month at 18 pounds even and 25 inches long (I obviously was wrong on her last post from her 4 month doctor appointment, because she most definitely didn't shrink!). That means she gained 2 pounds in 2 months, and no length. 6 month size is getting a little snug, but she still fits into them. She is mostly wearing 6 month and 6-12 month sizes with a few 3-6 month outfits thrown in there. Our sweet, chunky girl. There is nothing better than chewing on her sweet thighs. THE. BEST. I tell you. She has almost TRIPLED her birth weight at 6 months old...kinda crazy. What can I say, my girl likes to eat...and I guess I make some nutritious milk.

 
As Ruby grows, so does her personality and that of course means that she is gaining some dislikes. Up until recently she hasn't really had much of an opinion on much which I have just associated her with being a laid back, and "easy" baby. While I wouldn't say that she is no longer either of those things, she has most definitely learned what she likes and doesn't like. Some of her dislikes include:
-SLEEVES. You guys, they are THE WORST THINGS EVERRRRR according to Ruby. She can be happy, smiling, kicking her fat little legs and the second you start putting her arms through sleeves. It's over. Might as well get ready to hear her scream until you get those arms through, which by the way is not easy when she's fighting against you with all of her might.
-Not being able to reach something. This is very frustrating for her her, and I can just see her whole body fill up with frustration. She growls and stretches and when she still can't get to it, end up fussing for whatever she's wanting.
-Getting things taken away from her. She has started wanting to "feed herself" during dinnertime. She grabs the spoon and gets so ticked off when I take it back to put more food on it. She's happy as a clam when I give it back to her. Such a stinker.
-Growing teeth. Self explanatory.
-Not being able to fit everything into her mouth. She wants everything to go into her mouth, and sometimes her mouth is just too small and the object is just too big. Not a fan.


I'm not trying to make her sound like a cranky baby, because she's not by ANY means. She is a complete and total hambone, and is just coming into her little big personality. Quirks and opinions are part of growing, and we are whole-heartedly embracing Ruby's strong-willed, sweet, quirky personality. I can definitely see parts of Andrew and I's personalities coming out and traits of her own that are blossoming. Overall though, just like I've said every other month, she's happy, sweet, and a complete delight. She loves to giggle, smile, and lights up everyone's life that she comes in contact with.




We love her. So very much.
Who wouldn't?


My Rubes, 
Sweet girl, I've already written to you some about how you being half a year old has made me feel, and yeah, I'm a little sappy about it all. You know why? Because it has just gone by so very fast, darling girl. Your life so far has been a magical, special, happy, incredible whirlwind. I can't believe you are already 6 months old, and I know I'll be right here saying almost the exact same thing in another 6 months. You know what they say, that "time flies when you're having fun"? That has never been more true in our lives than it is now. We are having so much fun with you, and time is FLYING by. You are becoming such a fun, smart, and hilarious little girl and we are so very proud of who you are. You light up our world, beautiful baby. 
We love you more than words can say, 
Mama 
aaaand, we're done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...